One person was killed in a chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings location Thursday in Burlington, Massachusetts.
A restaurant employee was rushed to a hospital after being “exposed to a strong cleaning agent” and died shortly thereafter, the Burlington Fire Department said in a statement. The worker told firefighters who arrived on the scene that he was feeling nauseous after breathing in fumes.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
“Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and believes they may be impacted by the incident should seek medical treatment immediately,” the department said.
John M. Guilfoil, a spokesman for the fire department, said on Twitter that six patrons and two other employees were seeking treatment at a hospital.
The building was evacuated at about 6 p.m. for a Tier 1 hazmat incident, according to NBC Boston.
The fire department that there was no active threat to public safety and that the investigation was ongoing. It said the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration had been notified.
Buffalo Wild Wings said in a statement Thursday evening that it was referring questions to local authorities.
“We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation,” the company said.
This is a developing story.