Back pain and pregnancy are inevitably related. Two out of three women getting pregnant experience this. But thankfully there are general treatments and exercises that can help reduce or prevent it.
1. Self Help Strategies
Generally one should try to reduce physical activities like standing on one leg for long time, climbing stairs, walking long distances and lifting or carrying weights. In between your work, try to take short frequent breaks. Just take a walk break or get some fresh air. At home, lie down comfortably during such breaks.
Gently massaging the affected area is the most common cure but its effects tend to be temporary. Be careful; take the massage from an experienced person only.
3. Some Alternate Therapies
- Relax in a warm bath.
- Soak a cloth in warm (but not hot) water and place it over the small of your back.
- Use alternate medicines like homeopathy or herbal pills.
- Alexander technique teaches posture control to improve posture, balance and coordination. Learn this technique.
- Reflexology and yoga is also helpful.
- Many pregnant women find relief in acupuncture too, but its merits are yet to be proved.
- Chiropractic treatments can be tried out.
- Anxiety and depression during pregnancy can also be the cause of back pain, sciatica and leg pain. As such, staying relaxed and happy may make you feel better.
- Swimming can be of great help in back pain and pregnancy.
There are some simple exercises to safely straighten your back muscles in case of back pain and pregnancy.
- Get on your hands and knees. Lift your right arm up so that it is level with your back, and at the same time lift your left leg high but not higher than the level of your hips. Hold this balancing posture for a second. Repeat the process for left arm and right leg combination. Repeat 10-15 times.
- Start as before. Inhale slowly and as you exhale, arch your back upwards. Hold it for 5 seconds and repeat 10 to 15 times.
- Add a twist to the above exercise by drawing your right elbow toward your left knee, and vice versa, while lifting.
- Lie on your back. Lift your head and torso six inches from the ground and hold it for a second. Repeat this 10 to 15 times.
Be very careful while going in for any medication or exercise during pregnancy. If you experience any abdominal discomfort while exercising, stop immediately and consult your doctor.
Back pain and pregnancy are closely related but can easily be separated! Just give it a try.
Back pain and pregnancy often go hand in hand. Pregnancy back pain is a very common symptom in women, but it should not be neglected. There are various treatments available to treat back pain in pregnancy.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Daniel_Boon