Yoga means “union” in Sanskrit, the ancient language of India the home of yoga. The practice of yoga for back pain is becoming more popular as studies show the benefit for people with back pain. As the number of people who suffer from back pain continues to grow, more and more people are turning to yoga as a treatment to help.
Yoga deals with not just the body, with deep breathing exercises to help reduce stress and improve the mind. Here are a few ways that yoga can help your back issue:
• Back Strength: One of the principal benefits of yoga for back problem is that the positions help to improve the strength of your back muscles. Additionally, some yoga positions will also increase the strength of the abdominal muscles which support the spine and help maintain a proper posture. The muscles are also required to aid movement. The combination can be reduced or eliminated back pain.
• Stretching: With a lot of the yoga poses and routines, there is a lot of stretching involved. In many cases, there are positions that need to be held from 5 seconds to 1 minute. This stretches the muscles involved for the specific pose and this stretching can increase flexibility of your back movement. The stretching can also reduce any built up stress in the muscles that could be causing pain or the back problem.
• Relaxation: As mentioned, yoga for back issue involves breathing as well as physical poses and movements. The combination is very good for relaxation. Many people with back problems become stresses through pain and lack of movement and sleep. This is a viscous cycle that can make back problems worse over time. Yoga will relief stress and increase your ability to control daily stress and pain, while relaxing your mind and body to promote a healthy spine.
• Posture and balance: Many yoga poses will help the alignment of your spine and help to improve your posture. Many of us either walk or stand incorrectly, putting unequal pressure on the spine. This can cause back problems or exasperate current back problems. Practicing yoga for back pain can help to improve your posture and body balance.
• Mental strength: There are many people who believe that negative psychological and emotional problems can impact existing back problems. Meditation and breathing exercises from yoga can help back sufferers deal with pain and reduce stress levels. By doing this, the negative cycle can be reversed and pain can be reduced.
As with all back treatments, it is very important to speak to your doctor or spine specialist before trying yoga. The number of places offering yoga classes is growing and as a form of back treatment has been very successful. There are no side-effects of yoga and many people who start will continue to practice for many years, finding it having a positive result on their life.
Back pain can prevent you from living your life, affecting every aspect of your daily life. We have also suffered back problems for years and can show you how to reduce the pain and get a fitter, stronger back. Check out our back pain aid website and learn more today!!
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Justine_C_Tuazon